Tuesday, February 16, 2010

the veggie patch
















So i figured it was high time to start outlining the plans for my fruit and vegetable garden this upcoming growing season and the possible directions i will be taking to establish an grow my farm business. Currently i have two different areas that i will be focusing on to begin to get my produce into customers hands. The first will be a informal CSA ( Community Supported Agriculture) program that i will begin to develop this year that will mainly be for friends and family for this season. The second focus will be upon directly selling produce at community farmers markets within my home region of Durham. I will likly paticipate in two markets so that i can begin to gain needed experience in how to properly market and supply my produce over the summer. This will allow me to begin to understand what works and does'nt work so that i can focus my energy on what will provide a meaningful profit for the labor involved. This is because for now i will be the one doing most of the labor and i want to develop a keener understanding of the timing reguired and the variety of fruits and vegetables that will provide a decent profit. As of right now i am planning on growing about fifty or so different crops this growing sason. This year is going to be more of experimental year as i am trying a number of different variety's of both traditional staple crops and a number of non traditional crops that i believe could have a much higher profit level once i learn how to grow them efficiently. This is an area i would like to become a major part of business and revenue stream as the local supply of many highly sought after ethnic crops is usually extremely limited in Ontario because of the climate. This allows me to fetch a much higher price for my produce and will hopefully provide the revenue that i need in the first few seasons to help me establish more long term crops such a berries fruit trees and asparagus. I took these pictures of my currently snow covered garden i will be using this garden for my more delicate and finicky crops as it has a more developed soil. In the spring though i will taking over a couple acres of my fathers fields to plant out most other crops. I will post more frequently about my garden and plan for it as spring comes ever closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment