Thursday, February 25, 2010

What a hack job



Hey so its nearing the end of febuary and that means it is time to prune the fruit trees. My main goal for this years pruning is to trim back the mature macintosh tree that has been on my parents farm since i was a kid. It has never really produced a large amount of fruit so i decided to really prune it back hard to encourage it to grow larger fruit for this coming summer and to increase its fruiting over time. I managed to thin it out a lot as the before and after photos above show. My next major job will be to go down to my grandmas place and thin her small grove of mature apple tree more. They have been the main focus of my pruning efforts during the last few winters. I hope to better illustrate how to properly shape and prune apple trees but i am definitly not a expert at it yet more of a well intetioned novice.

No comments:

Post a Comment